Free Admission Museum Weekend - 2011
Three historical and cultural institutions offered free admission to all visitors on Saturday and Sunday June 11-12 to coincide with the conclusion of the Rural Arts and Culture Summit held in Fergus Falls. The institutions kept track of all visitors for those days and Viking Library System compensated the organization for the cost of the admissions.
Event Dates, Locations and Attendance at each individual event:June 11 – 12, 2011; locations listed under Partner Organizations
- Runestone Museum in Alexandria;
- Minnesota Lakes Maritime Museum in Alexandria; and
- the Otter Tail County Historical Society in Fergus Falls.
Partner Organization(s) Contribution/Role in the Program: provided venue and carried out publicity
Program Outputs:490 people participated at 3 locations over 2 days
Measurable Outcomes may be collected by survey, anecdotal responses, pre-test/post-test, observations; Describe proposed end user change in Behavior, Attitude, Skills, Knowledge, Condition and/or Status.
- To offer the opportunity for participants to visit a museum or cultural institution without charge.
- To introduce these museums to people who have never visited them, even members of the community.
- To offer greater exposure to the institutions.
- The event was popular way beyond expectation.
- The museum partners were thrilled with the attendance and had to bring in extra staff.
- The museum partners were pleased with the ease of the program in reporting and receiving reimbursement.
- The participants were mostly folks who had never been to the museums before and were amazed at how interesting and complete they were.