An Evening with Ellen Hopkins - 2011
Minnesota author Ellen Hopkins held two programs in Pelican Rapids, one at the library and one at the high school. The library program was held in the afternoon with many parents and grandparents attending. It was a traditional author program with Hopkins talking about books she had published. The evening program was geared to teens and she spent more time talking about her growing up years and how they influenced her writing.
- Event Dates, Locations and Attendance at each individual event: May 2, 2011, Pelican Rapids High School and Pelican Rapids Library
- Partner Organization(s): Pelican Rapids Community School
- Partner Organization(s) Contribution/Role in the Program: scheduling, logistics, publicity
A total of 80 people attended the 2 programs
Measurable Outcomes may be collected by survey, anecdotal responses, pre-test/post-test, observations; Describe proposed end user change in Behavior, Attitude, Skills, Knowledge, Condition and/or Status.
- Proposed outcomes were to encourage teens to read by bringing in a well-known young adult author.
- A secondary outcome was to introduce adults to the profession of writing.
Young adult circulation increased 3% the month following Ellen Hopkin's program and inquires as to “where the young adult section is” are also up. Teens continued to talk about the program for months afterwards.