Terrace Mill North Wall Stabilization Project
The Terrace grist mill was built in 1903. In 1967, the mill was abandoned. In 1979, the non-profit Terrace Mill Foundation was incorporated, purchased the mill and began a 30 year commitment to restoring and maintaining the mill and property.
The Foundation is managed by a volunteer board of directors. Today, the three story mill contains a circa 1900 general store, museum of mill artifacts, gift shop, historic media center, Pioneer Playhouse Theater and Wheeler Art Gallery. In July, 1979, the Terrace Mill District was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
In the spring of 2009, there was observable evidence that the north wall of the foundation was bowing and cracking due to the pressure from the ground and moisture behind it.
All objectives of the project were successfully completed. The entire north side of the building is now intact with the foundation sill. The interior and exterior north walls of the foundation have been braced and stabilized. The exterior cement landing, steps and pad have been removed. An exterior drainage system has been installed and wooden landing, steps and railing constructed.
It was determined that the cement stairway was the cause of most of the water seepage and damage to both the interior and exterior north wall of the foundation. The partial collapse of the exterior of the north wall was not determined until the soil was excavated to the footing of the wall. This was unknown at the time of the submission of the. grant proposal and resulted in additional expenditure of funds not covered by the grant.
The stabilization of the interior and exterior north wall of the basement insures that the structure is no longer In peril of moving off the sill plate of the foundation. Therefore, this section of the mill has been rescued from imminent collapse. The mill will remain intact for many future generations to enjoy. The basement can now be open to the public for viewing the mill artifacts and the turbine pit. The pointed wall will be an attraction in itself since it has been beautifully restored.
(b) Statewide Historic and Cultural Grants. (i) $2,250,000 in 2010 and $4,500,000 in 2011 are appropriated for history programs and projects operated or conducted by or through local, county, regional or other historical or cultural organizations; or for activities to preserve significant historic and cultural resources. Funds are to be distributed through a competitive grants process. The Minnesota Historical Society shall administer these funds using established grants mechanisms, and with assistance from the advisory committee created herein.