Asbestos Contained Asphalt Floor Tiles Abatement
(b) Statewide Historic and Cultural Grants. (i) $2,250,000 in 2010 and $4,500,000 in 2011 are appropriated for history programs and projects operated or conducted by or through local, county, regional or other historical or cultural organizations; or for activities to preserve significant historic and cultural resources. Funds are to be distributed through a competitive grants process. The Minnesota Historical Society shall administer these funds using established grants mechanisms, and with assistance from the advisory committee created herein.
Golden Valley Historical Society hired a licensed and bonded professional hazardous waste materials removal company to properly abate asbestos and improve public safety at the Golden Valley History Museum.
After the church was acquired by the GVHS for use as a museum, a team of experts were suspicious that the floor tiles in the lower level might contain asbestos. The experts in this field definitely confirmed that the floor tiles, which had become cracked and deteriorated by moisture migrating from the concrete slab, had to be removed by a HASlWET company and properly disposed of in accordance with state statutes, before the next project, the water management problem could be addressed and fixed.
This project is one of many ongoing projects already completed to accomplish the goal of a church-museum, owned by the Golden Valley Historical Society, and to create a museum to find and preserve artifacts of the heritage of the village and city of Golden Valley, and to be able to display the artifacts and educate the past, present and future citizens of the community of the long heritage of the community.
The church building is the oldest church in the City of Golden Valley, built in 1882 by non-denominational pioneers who eventually became associated with the Methodist Church. Having outgrown the facility in the 1950's, the Methodist Congregation built a larger church in the community and moved into it. The church was then purchased by the Golden Valley Christian Science Society who held services and meditation areas for its members until 1997, when the Christian Science Society had dwindled to a dozen or so members decided to sell the property. On July 1, 1997, the Golden Valley Historical Society, with the grant of one member, purchased the property to preserve this historic church and create a church-museum.
With the asbests abatement the Golden Valley Historical Society will have improved the use of the building and allow it to work with architects to continue with the rehabilitation of the building to complete the lower level museum.