Continuation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 25th Anniversary Legacy Project
$90,000 the first year is for a grant to the Minnesota State Council on Disability to produce and broadcast programs to preserve Minnesota's disability history and culture. These funds are available until June 30, 2018.
- Produce twenty five 90 second radio spots/stories featuring people with disabilities
- Disseminate produced radio spots to diverse communities throughout MN. Spots/stories will air: 800+ times
- Number of radio stations that deliver content to diverse/under served/marginalized populations in greater MN: 14
- Number of radio stations that deliver content to diverse/under served/marginalized populations in the Twin Cities Metro area: 4
- Disability related content developed by AMPERS, tpt, and CTV is disseminated statewide. We intend to change the perception (and reality) that people with disabilities are marginalized thus increasing the integration of people with disabilities into every aspect of culture, with a special emphasis on the workforce.
- All products produced will be accessible. (captioned airing on the internet, audio described airing on radio broadcasts.
- Increase the disability awareness of professional and non-professional people that interact with this project.
- State Fair Promotional Video - a promotion inviting Minnesotans to join us at the fair
- Production of 26 - 90 second AMPERS radio broadcast mini-documentaries in a series titled: Keep Moving Forward - A Radio Series featuring people with disabilities sharing perspectives, insights and experiences.
- Broadcast of #2
- Internet publication of #2
- 3 video training-instructional/technical assistance/disability awareness products on physical barrier removal. Subjects: Restrooms, Entrances, Parking. Content designed for the business community to become familiar with their obligations under the ADA so the current climate of ADA lawsuits is abated. ADA related lawsuits filed in Minnesota were on rise, becoming a cultural divisive element - damaging the employment landscape for people with disabilities.
- Production assistance to the program "Disability Viewpoints" providing network broadcast support, and accessibility (captioning) support. Disability Viewpoints is an awards winning cable program featuring people with disabilities.
- 27th Anniversary of the passage of the ADA, "9 Nights of Music"
- State of Art, cutting edge accessibility for all of the above.
MSCOD utilized legacy funds in SFY14/15 to raise awareness of MN's disability culture in sync with the 25th anniversary of the passage of the ADA. We will capitalize on the awareness raised and will further preserve the disability cultural awareness thereof. MSCOD will deliver a disability related message through various media, included but not limited to broadcast radio/television/internet communications. Activities continue to highlight the low employment rate of people with disabilities.