Arts & Cultural Legacy Programming (2012)
The Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans in collaboration with the Minnesota Humanities Center will fund arts and cultural heritage programming to educate, highlight, and promote understanding of the arts and cultural heritage of Asian American and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) for all Minnesotans.
Councils of Color. $500,000 the first year and $500,000 the second year are for competitive grants to the Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans, the Council on Black Minnesotans, the Indian Affairs Council, and the Chicano Latino Affairs Council. Grants are for programs and cooperation between the Minnesota Humanities Center and the grant recipients for community events and programs that celebrate and preserve artistic, historical, and cultural heritage.
- Increased access to and participation in art and cultural heritage programming provides opportunities for diverse communities to convene and engage with one another
- Diverse communities are able to showcase their art and cultural legacies leading to greater awareness about the arts and cultural heritage of AAPI
- Students have access to information and resources about AAPI heritage, increasing their awareness of AAPI heritage
• Two children’s books were printed – Shoua and the Northern Lights Dragon and The Imaginary Day. Nearly 3,800 copies were distributed to 15 schools, libraries, and community members.
• 70 Asian Pacific Islander youth attended the Asian Pacific Youth Leadership Retreat in Ely, Minnesota in June 2012
• 10 emerging artists completed the Academy for Asian Pacific Islander Artists, developing their leadership, artistic, and business skills
• Events such as A Thousand Journeys, One Home: Asian Pacific Heritage Day and Asian Pacific Day at the Capitol increased access to arts and cultural heritage programming
• Shoua and the Northern Lights Dragon and The Imaginary Day were nominated for local and regional book awards, and Shoua and the Northern Lights Dragon was named as a 2012 Midwest Book Award Finalist for Children’s Fiction.