Minnesota's Legacy

Water Efficiency Grant Program

Project Details by Fiscal Year
2020 Fiscal Year Funding Amount
$375,000
2017 Fiscal Year Funding Amount
$250,000
2016 Fiscal Year Funding Amount
$250,000
Fund Source
Clean Water Fund
Recipient
Metropolitan Council
Recipient Type
Local/Regional Government
Status
Completed
Start Date
September 2015
End Date
June 2022
Activity Type
Grants/Contracts
Counties Affected
Anoka
Carver
Dakota
Hennepin
Ramsey
Scott
Washington
Anoka
Carver
Dakota
Hennepin
Ramsey
Scott
Washington
Legal Citation / Subdivision
M.L. 2019, 1st Special Session, Chp. 2, Art. 1, Sec. 9, Subd. (b)
Appropriation Language

$375,000 the first year and $375,000 the second year are for the water demand reduction grant program to encourage municipalities in the metropolitan area to implement measures to reduce water demand to ensure the reliability and protection of drinking water supplies.

2020 Fiscal Year Funding Amount
$375,000
Proposed Measurable Outcome(s)

The goal of the water efficiency grant program is to work with municipal water suppliers to help increase water efficiency in their communities. Grants can be used for rebates to residents and commercial properties that replace inefficient water-using devices with approved devices that use substantially less water, or for irrigation system audits.

Measurable Outcome(s)

Outcomes (cost and water savings) will be reported at the end of the project. 

Legal Citation / Subdivision
M.L. 2015, Chapter 2, Art. 2, Sec. 9, Subd. (b)
Appropriation Language

(b) $250,000 the first year and $250,000 the second year are for the water demand reduction grant program to encourage implementation of water demand reduction measures by municipalities in the metropolitan area to ensure the reliability and protection of drinking water supplies.

2017 Fiscal Year Funding Amount
$250,000
Other Funds Leveraged
$77,065
Proposed Measurable Outcome(s)

See Fiscal Year 2016 for proposed measureable outcomes.

Measurable Outcome(s)

The Metropolitan Council was awarded $500,000 from Minnesota Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment funds for a Water Efficiency Grant Program during the 2015-2017 biennium. Grants were awarded on a competitive basis to metro area communities that manage municipal water systems. Council grants covered 75% of the program cost; each participating municipality provided the remaining 25% as a match. Communities used the funds to lower the cost of resident purchase and installation of products that reduce water use, such as EPA WaterSense labeled low-flow toilets, Energy Star labeled washing machines, and WaterSense labeled irrigation controllers, and WaterSense Partner-certified irrigation system audits. Nineteen communities participated in this program, including Brooklyn Park, Chanhassen, Circle Pines, Cottage Grove, Eagan, Eden Prairie, Forest Lake, Fridley, Hugo, Mahtomedi, New Brighton, Newport, Plymouth, Shakopee, Victoria, White Bear Lake, White Bear Township, and Woodbury. 4,514 devices were replaced, including 2,380 toilets, 1,190 irrigation controllers, 940 clothes washers, and 4 irrigation system audits. Approximately 52,000,000 gallons per year will be saved each year by these replacements. This includes 29,800,000 gallons per year from toilets, 18,000,000 gallons per year from irrigation controllers, 4,200,000 gallons per year from clothes washers, and 59,000 gallons per year from irrigation system audits. The average amount of water saved annually per device is approximately 12,200 gallons per year from toilets, 15,000 gallons per year from irrigation controllers, 4,300 gallons per year from clothes washers, and 14,800 gallons per year from irrigation system audits.

Legal Citation / Subdivision
M.L. 2015, Chapter 2, Art. 2, Sec. 9, Subd. (b)
Appropriation Language

(b) $250,000 the first year and $250,000 the second year are for the water demand reduction grant program to encourage implementation of water demand reduction measures by municipalities in the metropolitan area to ensure the reliability and protection of drinking water supplies.

2016 Fiscal Year Funding Amount
$250,000
Other Funds Leveraged
$77,066
Proposed Measurable Outcome(s)

The goal of the water efficiency grant program is to support technical and behavioral changes that improve municipal water use efficiency in the seven-county metropolitan area.  Qualified activities include replacement of toilet with EPA WaterSense certified high-efficiency toilets, residential clothes washing machine replacements with Energy Star certified washing machines, irrigation system audits by EPA WaterSense certified professionals, and irrigation controller replacements with EPA WaterSense certified replacements.

Measurable Outcome(s)

Outcomes will be reported at project completion.

Source of Additional Funds

Grant awards in excess of $500,000 are funded by Clean Water Funds.

Project Overview

The Metropolitan Council (Council) implemented a water efficiency grant pilot program effective September 30, 2015 to June 30, 2017. Grants were awarded on a competitive basis to municipalities that manage municipal water systems. The Council provided 75% of the program cost; the municipality provided the remaining 25%. Grants were made available in amounts with a minimum of $2,000 and a maximum of $50,000. Grantees were required to provide estimated water savings achieved through this program for Clean Water Land & Legacy Amendment reporting purposes.

Based on this success of this pilot program, and with strong support from local stakeholders, the program was re-started again in 2019.

Project Details

2015-2017 Grant recipients and amounts included: Brooklyn Park $7,500 Chanhassen $37,500 Circle Pines $15,000 Cottage Grove $8,250 Eagan $50,000 Eden Prairie $37,500 Forest Lake $40,000 Fridley $30,000 Hugo $36,000 Mahtomedi $10,000 New Brighton $50,000 Newport $27,000 Plymouth $18,750 Rosemount $9,000 Shakopee $50,000 Victoria $9,000 White Bear Lake $49,125 White Bear Township $24,000 Woodbury $50,000.

As of January 15, 2020, the 2019 grant recipient amounts were being finalized.

Project Manager
Salutation
Mr.
First Name
Brian M.
Last Name
Davis, Ph.D., P.G., P.E.
Organization Name
Metropolitan Council
Street Address
390 Robert Street North
City
St. Paul
State
MN
Zip Code
55101
Phone
(651) 602-1519
Email
brian.davis@metc.state.mn.us