Development of a Collections Plan
Statewide Historic and Cultural Grants. $5,250,000 the first year and $5,250,000 the second year are for history programs and projects operated or conducted by or through local, county, regional, or other historical or cultural organizations; or for activities to preserve significant historic and cultural resources.
In our application our measurable goals were to:
- Survey and categorize all potential materials for inclusion in the collection
- Define the priorities for accessioning the materials into the collection
- Articulate the vision for the collection and its purpose.
All of these goals were achieved.
Using an initial survey as a starting point we conducted an in-depth inventory to better understand the material in our possession. The work included:
- Recording accurate information about the material, such as subject matter, dates, physical condition and ownership.
- Analyzing the collected information to create selection criteria and divide the collection into appropriate sub-collections.
- Establishing a work plan and priorities for continued building of the collection.