To add to the known history of the Chinese experience in Minnesota in the years 1911-2011, the CAAPAM conducted oral history interviews of Chinese Americans to gather information about their memories of immigration and settlement in Minnesota in relation to historical events happening in the homeland after 1970.
The interviewees were chosen to represent diverse periods, backgrounds, lengths of residency and professions.
In a collaborative effort between the Wabasha Public Library and the Wabasha County Museum the history of the Wabasha area was interpreted in a weekend event focusing on the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux and its impact on the "Half-Breed Tract", a reservation of children of mixed Indian and European ancestry. The 1851 signing of the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux and the resulting settlement and tourism were analyzed through the perspectives of the native Dakota, the Euro-American tourist and the newly arrived settlers from 1851 to 1861.
The Minnesota Historical Society partnered with the 70 Years Project to begin development of a web site that will enable all Minnesotans to again share in the tragedies and triumphs of the 1,345 days of World War II. The site will feature oral histories from World War II veterans as well as a wartime headline taken from Minnesota newspapers for every day of the war. The web site will serve as a resource for the general public, as well as for the relatives of the more than 300,000 Minnesotans who fought in the war.
The Will Steger foundation initiated the documentation of Will Steger's collection of journals, media and images found in a wide variety of formats and locations. A professional archivist was contracted to conduct a basic artifact inventory. The objects were then prioritized for cataloguing and digitization. The collection has been consolidated and the inventory record established. This is phase 1 of 3 for the project; "A Minnesota Hero: Preserving the Will Steger Story".
With the grant the Kanabec County Historical Society purchased sixteen rolls of microfilm to make current their collection of Kanabec County Times newspaper through 2007 and fill in the missing years of the Grasston Advance for 1920 and 1922.
Blue Earth County Historical Society added of 126 microfilm reels of the local newspapers: The Free Press, Lake Crystal Tribune, Lake Region Times, Maple River Messenger and The Land magazine. These additions complete the collection with what is currently available through the Minnesota Historical Society's microfilm lab.
133 microfilmed copies of seven newspapers from the general area were purchased by the Freeborn county Historical society for its research library. The newspapers span the years from 1870 to 2008 and provide a resource for researching family histories, businesses, government agencies, news media and general public infomation.
114 rolls of microfilmed newspapers were acquired from the Minnesota Historical Society of seven (7) local St. Cloud newspapers including the St. Cloud State Chronicle. The materials were checked in, cataloged and made available to St. Cloud State library patrons.
The final thirtyeight (38) rolls of microfilm of Aitkin county newspapers were purchased to complete the collection. The acquisition was noted on the Aitkin Independent Age and on the Aitkin County Historical Society web site.
An Americans With Disabilities Act compliant access ramp was added to the front of the two-room Gosen School/Museum to provide access for all who want to enter. The building, built in 1888, was in operation until 1951. Sometime in the early 1990's it was moved to its present location in the city park. It serves as the museum and education center for the artifacts of the early settlers of Winger and the surrounding area. During the project the original entry door was salvaged, repaired and reinstalled instead of the proposed replica replacement.
In order to implement its Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund (ACHF) projects, the Minnesota Historical Society hired an ACHF Program Coordinator to oversee the program administration. The Society also made investments to support administration of the grants program and to fund expanded financial management and administrative functions. By carefully managing its costs, the Society has adhered to the legislative mandate that institutions not spend more than 2.5 percent on administrative expenses.
The Alexander Ramsey House is an 11,000-square-foot mansion that was home to Minnesota's first territorial governor. The mansion contains approximately 14,000 original furnishings and has one of the most intact collections of Victorian-era artifacts in the Midwest.
Despite these assets and a sound public educational program, the site has experienced a steady decline in attendance. Arts and Cultural Heritage funding is supporting a project to understand the reasons for this decline.
A series of eight oral histories were collected from landscape architects. These interviews document the story of landscape design in 20th Century Minnesota. The participants were asked to reflect on what personal experiences influenced their professions and how Minnesota spaces have been enhanced by landscape architecture over the past century.
As preparation for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, MHM gathered data (drawings, photographs and measurements) of the dry nautical portion (approximately 25%) of the sternwheel steamer, The Andy Gibson. A trench was dug alongside of the steamer to expose the condition of the portion of the steamer covered by 3-4 feet of soil. Triangulation and measured drawings were used to document the ships construction attributes. A NR nomination was prepared incorporating this new information with older information that was gathered from previous fieldwork.
As preparation to additional historic preservation work on the Odeon Theatre, listed in the national Register of Historic Places, a qualified historical architect was hired to inspect and evaluate the building. Issues of safety/building codes, accessibility concerns, weather-tightness and future functional improvements were addressed. The final report included a mechanical/electrical evaluation of the building and its proposed future addition. Improvements will include accessible restrooms, a second accessible exit, expanded storage space and the repair of the stage floor.
A total of 961 linear feet of archival quality shelving was purchased and installed in the "vault" area and the College Archives storage room at Gustavus Adolphus College. Old, used shelving was re-purposed for use in other areas of the college. The installation of this shelving has alleviated overcrowding, provided a safer more secure storage environment and consolidated the collections to one location.
To make the Cathedral of St. Paul archives more accessible to the public, the Cathedral heritage foundation undertook a two-step project to sort, organize, inventory and file their collections. The first step involved general cleaning and the reorganization of materials. All materials were re-housed in archival storage units. Inventory information was entered into PastPerfect. The second step of the project focused on the recruitment and training of volunteers folow up on and continue the new preservation/storage best practices.
The RCHS determined to gain intellectual and physical control over their historical collections documenting Ramsey County.
PastPerfect software was purchased and installed, and training was received by staff. An inventory technician was hired and trained to apply the software using best practice inventory methods. 2,306 artifacts (9% of the total inventory) were recorded and catalogued. The daily information was backed up and stored offsite.
Phase two of a project to improve intellectual control of the stored 3-D collections by contiuing the partial-inventory of artifacts. During this phase of the inventory 2,155 objects were recorded making the total number recorded so far 4,461 or approximately 18% of the objects to be inventoried. Information garnered during the process will aid the determination of the amount of storage needed and the supplies necessary for proper storage and preservation. Once complete, the inventory will aid exhibit planning and creation.
Golden Valley Historical Society hired a licensed and bonded professional hazardous waste materials removal company to properly abate asbestos and improve public safety at the Golden Valley History Museum.
75 photographs were selected from among thousands that were taken by John W.G. Dunn of the St. Croix river valley between the 1890's and 1941. The Marine Restoration Society contracted with Tomy O'Brien Jr. to review all Dunn photographs and to identify those photographs that were best deserving of greater historical interpretation. The locations of the photographs were researched, a list with information for each photograph was compiled and the selected photos were geocoded to aid future researchers.
To improve security of a National Register building by adding eleven cameras to the security system.
Citizens for Backus/AB added eleven cameras to a basic five camera security system, replaced locks and updated the electronic entry of the historic E.W. Backus Jr. High School, now known as the Backus Community Center in International Falls.
The book, "Backward Glances" by Lawrence Sunsdahl (1982), about the history of Stephen, Minnesota was updated and republished. It is a collection of articles printed in newspapers and periodicals over a twenty-two year period (1989-2010) about the area and its residents. The author, a lifelong resident of Stephen, had compiled information gathered from newspapers, microfilm and personal contacts.