To preserve the stories known only to older members of the community a narrative history of Silver Bay, Minnesota was compiled using interviews of longtime residents. The students of William M. Kelley High School recorded and transcribed 15 hours of small-group and individual interviews of 44 early and former residents of the town including officials and employees of Reserve Mining Company. These interviewees relate their experiences of living and working in the area. Silver Bay was established as a "company town" in the late 1950's and remained as such into the early 1980's.
Publication, in book format, of a narrative history of a "company town," Silver Bay, Minnesota, based on interviews with longtime residents (interviews and transcriptions funded by a previous Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund grant) and on interviews previously collected by the Bay Area Historical Society.
The early nineteen hundred drawing by Jes Smidt exhibited in a lecture hall at the Danebod Folk School complex was safely removed and transported to the Midwest Art Conservation Center laboratories where condition reports and treatment proposals for conservation of the drawing were determined.
The Danebod Lutheran Church and Folk School commissioned the repair and restoration of a drawing by Jes Smidt. The 1918 drawing is a copy of a much earlier work by Lorens Frolich (840-935AD). The subject of the work is Queen Thyra Danebod, an important figure in Danish culture, for which the church and school are named.
To hire qualified professionals to repair masonry on the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) Hall, now part of the Meeker County Historical Society's museum facilities, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.