To add to the known history of the Chinese experience in Minnesota in the years 1911-2011, the CAAPAM conducted oral history interviews of Chinese Americans to gather information about their memories of immigration and settlement in Minnesota in relation to historical events happening in the homeland after 1970.
The interviewees were chosen to represent diverse periods, backgrounds, lengths of residency and professions.
In a collaborative effort between the Wabasha Public Library and the Wabasha County Museum the history of the Wabasha area was interpreted in a weekend event focusing on the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux and its impact on the "Half-Breed Tract", a reservation of children of mixed Indian and European ancestry. The 1851 signing of the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux and the resulting settlement and tourism were analyzed through the perspectives of the native Dakota, the Euro-American tourist and the newly arrived settlers from 1851 to 1861.
The Will Steger foundation initiated the documentation of Will Steger's collection of journals, media and images found in a wide variety of formats and locations. A professional archivist was contracted to conduct a basic artifact inventory. The objects were then prioritized for cataloguing and digitization. The collection has been consolidated and the inventory record established. This is phase 1 of 3 for the project; "A Minnesota Hero: Preserving the Will Steger Story".
With the grant the Kanabec County Historical Society purchased sixteen rolls of microfilm to make current their collection of Kanabec County Times newspaper through 2007 and fill in the missing years of the Grasston Advance for 1920 and 1922.
Blue Earth County Historical Society added of 126 microfilm reels of the local newspapers: The Free Press, Lake Crystal Tribune, Lake Region Times, Maple River Messenger and The Land magazine. These additions complete the collection with what is currently available through the Minnesota Historical Society's microfilm lab.
133 microfilmed copies of seven newspapers from the general area were purchased by the Freeborn county Historical society for its research library. The newspapers span the years from 1870 to 2008 and provide a resource for researching family histories, businesses, government agencies, news media and general public infomation.
114 rolls of microfilmed newspapers were acquired from the Minnesota Historical Society of seven (7) local St. Cloud newspapers including the St. Cloud State Chronicle. The materials were checked in, cataloged and made available to St. Cloud State library patrons.
The final thirtyeight (38) rolls of microfilm of Aitkin county newspapers were purchased to complete the collection. The acquisition was noted on the Aitkin Independent Age and on the Aitkin County Historical Society web site.
An Americans With Disabilities Act compliant access ramp was added to the front of the two-room Gosen School/Museum to provide access for all who want to enter. The building, built in 1888, was in operation until 1951. Sometime in the early 1990's it was moved to its present location in the city park. It serves as the museum and education center for the artifacts of the early settlers of Winger and the surrounding area. During the project the original entry door was salvaged, repaired and reinstalled instead of the proposed replica replacement.
A series of eight oral histories were collected from landscape architects. These interviews document the story of landscape design in 20th Century Minnesota. The participants were asked to reflect on what personal experiences influenced their professions and how Minnesota spaces have been enhanced by landscape architecture over the past century.
As preparation for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, MHM gathered data (drawings, photographs and measurements) of the dry nautical portion (approximately 25%) of the sternwheel steamer, The Andy Gibson. A trench was dug alongside of the steamer to expose the condition of the portion of the steamer covered by 3-4 feet of soil. Triangulation and measured drawings were used to document the ships construction attributes. A NR nomination was prepared incorporating this new information with older information that was gathered from previous fieldwork.
As preparation to additional historic preservation work on the Odeon Theatre, listed in the national Register of Historic Places, a qualified historical architect was hired to inspect and evaluate the building. Issues of safety/building codes, accessibility concerns, weather-tightness and future functional improvements were addressed. The final report included a mechanical/electrical evaluation of the building and its proposed future addition. Improvements will include accessible restrooms, a second accessible exit, expanded storage space and the repair of the stage floor.
A total of 961 linear feet of archival quality shelving was purchased and installed in the "vault" area and the College Archives storage room at Gustavus Adolphus College. Old, used shelving was re-purposed for use in other areas of the college. The installation of this shelving has alleviated overcrowding, provided a safer more secure storage environment and consolidated the collections to one location.
To make the Cathedral of St. Paul archives more accessible to the public, the Cathedral heritage foundation undertook a two-step project to sort, organize, inventory and file their collections. The first step involved general cleaning and the reorganization of materials. All materials were re-housed in archival storage units. Inventory information was entered into PastPerfect. The second step of the project focused on the recruitment and training of volunteers folow up on and continue the new preservation/storage best practices.