133 microfilmed copies of seven newspapers from the general area were purchased by the Freeborn county Historical society for its research library. The newspapers span the years from 1870 to 2008 and provide a resource for researching family histories, businesses, government agencies, news media and general public infomation.
To hire qualified engineers to develop design drawings for the heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system, in planning for installation at the Ames-Florida-Stork House, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Pope County Historical Society hired experienced an HVAC engineer, to conduct an evaluation of their mechanical system. This included three site visits to document current conditions through interviews, photos and temperature/humidity dataloggers placed throughout the museum. With this information, they prepared a written analysis including recommendations to improve the HVAC system toward current museum standards.
The city hired a preservation consultant to complete a Historic Context Study for the City of Buffalo. The general history of the community, organized by theme, provides useful information about the city's historic resources. Copies of the completed report have been given to the City Council and Planning Commission, the City Library, the Wright County Historical Society, the state Senator and Representative for the area and is available on the City's website.
Partner Organizations: Kasson Alliance for Restoration, Mantorville Restoration Association, Friends of Mayowood, Denmark Township Historical Society, Friends of Saint Rose, Preservation Lake City, County Historical Societies, Red Wing Downtown Main Street, Winona Main Street, Winona Area Chamber of Commerce, Faribault Main Street, and Faribault Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism
PAM will work to provide its partners with staff support, administration, supervision, and additional preservation and planning expertise.
A consultant was hired to facilitate a process to grow the capacity of the organization to preserve and interpret history through a national training standard, known as StEPs. The StEPs program is an on-going process for continuous improvement.
The Terrace grist mill was built in 1903. In 1967, the mill was abandoned. In 1979, the non-profit Terrace Mill Foundation was incorporated, purchased the mill and began a 30 year commitment to restoring and maintaining the mill and property.
The Foundation is managed by a volunteer board of directors. Today, the three story mill contains a circa 1900 general store, museum of mill artifacts, gift shop, historic media center, Pioneer Playhouse Theater and Wheeler Art Gallery. In July, 1979, the Terrace Mill District was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
The Chippewa Falls Townhall has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979 as part of the Terrace Mill Historic District.
Storm damage accelerated the need for repairs to the more deteriorated areas of the building. Four areas were identified for this repair project. Roof shingles were replaced, the bell tower was restored, cornice returns were reconstructed and window frames and sashes were repaired, reglued and repainted. These maintainance measures are estimated to provide the building with protection from the elements for the next twenty years.