To implement a self-guided walking tour of the city of Pine River, Heritage Group North Inc. purchased thirteen kiosk displays and installed them at various historic building sites. Each kiosk, made of recycled plastic, displays historic information and photographs from an earlier period. In addition to the kiosks, a tri-fold brochure was designed showing the locations of the walking tour. They are available at the Pine River Chamber Information Center. The walking tour serves to remind residents and visitors of the inherent history to be found in many of the city's structures.
Partners: Northland Schools, Remer, and Washington Technology Magnet School, St. Paul
Improving the educational achievement of Minnesota's students is a strategic priority for MNHS. The Educational Achievement initiative allows MNHS to create partnerships with two school districts
Improving the educational achievement of Minnesota's students is a strategic priority for MNHS. The Educational Achievement initiative allows MNHS to create partnerships with three school districts--one rural, one suburban and one urban--and evaluate how a variety of educational programs measurably improve student achievement across multiple grade levels over multiple years.
The Pope County Historical Society hired experienced an HVAC engineer, to conduct an evaluation of their mechanical system. This included three site visits to document current conditions through interviews, photos and temperature/humidity dataloggers placed throughout the museum. With this information, they prepared a written analysis including recommendations to improve the HVAC system toward current museum standards.
Conservators completed a detailed Condition Report for a 90-year-old 1919 Waterous Fire Engine owned by the Pine River Fire Department. The extent of original finish present is unusually extensive in an engine of this age and the Pine River Fire Department was advised to maintain as much of the original finish as possible. They were also advised to improve the storage/display environment as necessary to provide optimal conditions, which will benefit the long term preservation of this significant object.
The Terrace grist mill was built in 1903. In 1967, the mill was abandoned. In 1979, the non-profit Terrace Mill Foundation was incorporated, purchased the mill and began a 30 year commitment to restoring and maintaining the mill and property.
The Foundation is managed by a volunteer board of directors. Today, the three story mill contains a circa 1900 general store, museum of mill artifacts, gift shop, historic media center, Pioneer Playhouse Theater and Wheeler Art Gallery. In July, 1979, the Terrace Mill District was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
The Chippewa Falls Townhall has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979 as part of the Terrace Mill Historic District.
Storm damage accelerated the need for repairs to the more deteriorated areas of the building. Four areas were identified for this repair project. Roof shingles were replaced, the bell tower was restored, cornice returns were reconstructed and window frames and sashes were repaired, reglued and repainted. These maintainance measures are estimated to provide the building with protection from the elements for the next twenty years.
National Register of Historic Places nomination preparation and a management plan for the 47-acre Two Points property on Ottertail Peninsula, Leech Lake. Included is a spatial analysis of physical artifacts, researching documentation of the site, creating and annotating maps, taking photos and completing the nomination form with attachments and bibliography.