The Pope County Historical Society hired experienced an HVAC engineer, to conduct an evaluation of their mechanical system. This included three site visits to document current conditions through interviews, photos and temperature/humidity dataloggers placed throughout the museum. With this information, they prepared a written analysis including recommendations to improve the HVAC system toward current museum standards.
Three consultants with historic preservation, architectural and structural engineering expertise were contracted to conduct a structural assessment of the Grant County Courthouse concrete slab floors. They collected and analyzed data through a detailed visual survey of the floor slabs, materials testing using non-destructive methods and performing engineering analysis. Recommendations were made for the retrofit of the floor slabs.
To hire a qualified and experienced historian to prepare a Cultural Landscape Report that will guide future preservation projects on the grounds of the Grant County Courthouse, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Terrace grist mill was built in 1903. In 1967, the mill was abandoned. In 1979, the non-profit Terrace Mill Foundation was incorporated, purchased the mill and began a 30 year commitment to restoring and maintaining the mill and property.
The Foundation is managed by a volunteer board of directors. Today, the three story mill contains a circa 1900 general store, museum of mill artifacts, gift shop, historic media center, Pioneer Playhouse Theater and Wheeler Art Gallery. In July, 1979, the Terrace Mill District was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
The Chippewa Falls Townhall has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979 as part of the Terrace Mill Historic District.
Storm damage accelerated the need for repairs to the more deteriorated areas of the building. Four areas were identified for this repair project. Roof shingles were replaced, the bell tower was restored, cornice returns were reconstructed and window frames and sashes were repaired, reglued and repainted. These maintainance measures are estimated to provide the building with protection from the elements for the next twenty years.