The Fergus Falls Heritage Preservation commission, in cooperation with the Otter Tail County Historical Society, produced a brochure with the help of a qualified historian. The brochure consists of photographs, descriptions and maps to locate historically significant buildings and homes in the city. It was designed for use as a self-guided tour of the city's historical and architectural landmarks. The 40-page brochure is available through the Otter Tail County Historical Society, the Fergus Falls Heritage Preservation Commission and the Fergus Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau.
The most imminent threat to Phelps Mill, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is fire. If struck by lightning the wood frame building would be destroyed in minutes. Period photographs indicate that at least three lightning rods were on the mill as early as 1900. When the mill closed in 1939, the rods remained on the roof until 1965 when the county board purchased the site as a county park. Shortly thereafter, the rods were removed when the roof was repaired and shingles replaced.
Partner Organizations: Kasson Alliance for Restoration, Mantorville Restoration Association, Friends of Mayowood, Denmark Township Historical Society, Friends of Saint Rose, Preservation Lake City, County Historical Societies, Red Wing Downtown Main Street, Winona Main Street, Winona Area Chamber of Commerce, Faribault Main Street, and Faribault Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism
PAM will work to provide its partners with staff support, administration, supervision, and additional preservation and planning expertise.
The Terrace grist mill was built in 1903. In 1967, the mill was abandoned. In 1979, the non-profit Terrace Mill Foundation was incorporated, purchased the mill and began a 30 year commitment to restoring and maintaining the mill and property.
The Foundation is managed by a volunteer board of directors. Today, the three story mill contains a circa 1900 general store, museum of mill artifacts, gift shop, historic media center, Pioneer Playhouse Theater and Wheeler Art Gallery. In July, 1979, the Terrace Mill District was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
The Chippewa Falls Townhall has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979 as part of the Terrace Mill Historic District.
Storm damage accelerated the need for repairs to the more deteriorated areas of the building. Four areas were identified for this repair project. Roof shingles were replaced, the bell tower was restored, cornice returns were reconstructed and window frames and sashes were repaired, reglued and repainted. These maintainance measures are estimated to provide the building with protection from the elements for the next twenty years.
The City of Henning hopes to rescue the 117-year-old Trinity Lutheran Church building, preserving its' architectural history, its' history for the many residents that attended the church, and restore this building as a point of Pride for the Community and the surrounding region. This twin spire church, built by a Danish Congregation, has rooted itself in the lives of many area descendants, all now participating in the rescue of this property.
Four individual national register nomination forms were prepared for Central, Madison, Jefferson and Washington-Kosciusko elementary schools located in the city of Winona. A qualified historian was hired to prepare the documentation. The schools had been previously evaluated and found to be eligible for nomination.