To hire a qualified architect to prepare a conditions assessment and planning documents for the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, proposed to be used as a community center, and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Fergus Falls Heritage Preservation commission, in cooperation with the Otter Tail County Historical Society, produced a brochure with the help of a qualified historian. The brochure consists of photographs, descriptions and maps to locate historically significant buildings and homes in the city. It was designed for use as a self-guided tour of the city's historical and architectural landmarks. The 40-page brochure is available through the Otter Tail County Historical Society, the Fergus Falls Heritage Preservation Commission and the Fergus Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau.
To acquire professional services to prepare an interpretive plan for public access to history and cultural heritage of the Andrew Peterson Farmstead, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The city hired a qualified historian to research and prepare materials for a Guide highlighting the historic resources of the city. The goal of the project was to make residents and visitors more aware and more appreciative of the historical and cultural significance of downtown Chaska's buildings. They include a National Register Historic District (Walnut Street), seven buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places and over 50 buildings listed on the Local Register.
Two storms in July and August of 2010 caused the east wall and gables of the historic North Peterson Barn, a structure on the Andrew Peterson Farmstead listed on the National Register of Historic Places, to collapse. The already deteriorating barn required stabilization to preserve what remained for eventual restoration. The firm of Hansen Hometech was contracted to carry out the stabilizing process.
The most imminent threat to Phelps Mill, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is fire. If struck by lightning the wood frame building would be destroyed in minutes. Period photographs indicate that at least three lightning rods were on the mill as early as 1900. When the mill closed in 1939, the rods remained on the roof until 1965 when the county board purchased the site as a county park. Shortly thereafter, the rods were removed when the roof was repaired and shingles replaced.
Two storms in July/August of 2010 caused the east wall and gable ends of the historic Peterson North Barn to collapse. The barn was stabilized in October of 2010. The owner and the Friends of the Peterson Barn were advised to quicky develop a phased plan for reconstruction to prevent further damage. A qualified historical architect was hired to undertake the planning and design work with the ultimate goal of restoring the building to it's original appearance.
The City of Henning hopes to rescue the 117-year-old Trinity Lutheran Church building, preserving its' architectural history, its' history for the many residents that attended the church, and restore this building as a point of Pride for the Community and the surrounding region. This twin spire church, built by a Danish Congregation, has rooted itself in the lives of many area descendants, all now participating in the rescue of this property.