To hire a qualified architect to prepare a conditions assessment and planning documents for the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, proposed to be used as a community center, and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Fergus Falls Heritage Preservation commission, in cooperation with the Otter Tail County Historical Society, produced a brochure with the help of a qualified historian. The brochure consists of photographs, descriptions and maps to locate historically significant buildings and homes in the city. It was designed for use as a self-guided tour of the city's historical and architectural landmarks. The 40-page brochure is available through the Otter Tail County Historical Society, the Fergus Falls Heritage Preservation Commission and the Fergus Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau.
The restoration of the Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration restored the building to a condition that is suitable for occupancy and prevented the building from becoming unsafe thus requiring it to be demolished. The largest portion of the restoration involved repairs to the foundation. The Episocopal Church of the Transfiguration, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and located in a city park.
The most imminent threat to Phelps Mill, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is fire. If struck by lightning the wood frame building would be destroyed in minutes. Period photographs indicate that at least three lightning rods were on the mill as early as 1900. When the mill closed in 1939, the rods remained on the roof until 1965 when the county board purchased the site as a county park. Shortly thereafter, the rods were removed when the roof was repaired and shingles replaced.
The City of Henning hopes to rescue the 117-year-old Trinity Lutheran Church building, preserving its' architectural history, its' history for the many residents that attended the church, and restore this building as a point of Pride for the Community and the surrounding region. This twin spire church, built by a Danish Congregation, has rooted itself in the lives of many area descendants, all now participating in the rescue of this property.