The Fergus Falls Heritage Preservation commission, in cooperation with the Otter Tail County Historical Society, produced a brochure with the help of a qualified historian. The brochure consists of photographs, descriptions and maps to locate historically significant buildings and homes in the city. It was designed for use as a self-guided tour of the city's historical and architectural landmarks. The 40-page brochure is available through the Otter Tail County Historical Society, the Fergus Falls Heritage Preservation Commission and the Fergus Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau.
The USS Essex, a National Register Property located in Duluth, is Minnesota's only US Navy shipwreck, and the only known shipwreck originally built by renown shipbuilder Donald McKay. Its current location on the shoreline of Minnesota Point is unfavorable for long-term preservation. To ensure the long-term preservation of the Essex this project developed several options for the future of the Essex, and the requirements needed to fulfill those options.
To repoint masonry, preserve terracotta decorative elements, and stabilize the parapets of the Duluth Armory, undergoing rehabilitation for use as a community center. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Pioneer Mine Site, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, was improved with the repair of the existing furnaces in the Miners Dry and Shaft Houses. The furnaces are tied in with a fire suppression system and a security system. Installation of expanded steel across three doors, application of adhesive and boards around Shaft House base and removal of surrounding brush provides added protection from insect, animal and human invasion. Destruction by nature and vandals has been minimized.
Partner Organizations: Northern Bedrock Historic Preservation Corps and Glensheen, the historic Congdon estate
First, a memorandum of understanding between Glensheen and Northern Bedrock Historic Preservation Corps will establish the partnership. This partnership will allow Northern Bedrock to provide programming for participants and accomplish Glensheen's historic preservation needs.
To stop the water infiltration that was causing damage to the building, bricks and tuck-pointing were removed and replaced in two areas of external wall at the back and side of the Lyric Theater building.
The damaged areas have now been stabilized and further erosion curtailed. Renovation of the rest of the building can now continue.
To hire a qualified professional to restore the last two of thirteen stain glass windows in the B'nai Abraham Synagogue, listed in the National Register of Historic Places and now used as a community center.
The most imminent threat to Phelps Mill, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is fire. If struck by lightning the wood frame building would be destroyed in minutes. Period photographs indicate that at least three lightning rods were on the mill as early as 1900. When the mill closed in 1939, the rods remained on the roof until 1965 when the county board purchased the site as a county park. Shortly thereafter, the rods were removed when the roof was repaired and shingles replaced.