A prominent county courthouse, a Depression-era school building, an iconic Modern ice-cream stand, and a Northern Minnesota lakeside overlook are among the diverse sites named to the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota’s 2010 list of the state’s 10 Most Endangered Historic Places.
A photographic exhibit featuring the 10 Most Endangered Historic Places for 2010 was created with MHCG funds and displayed at museums, libraries, and other public places statewide throughout the year.
To add to the known history of the Chinese experience in Minnesota in the years 1911-2011, the CAAPAM conducted oral history interviews of Chinese Americans to gather information about their memories of immigration and settlement in Minnesota in relation to historical events happening in the homeland after 1970.
The interviewees were chosen to represent diverse periods, backgrounds, lengths of residency and professions.
In a collaborative effort between the Wabasha Public Library and the Wabasha County Museum the history of the Wabasha area was interpreted in a weekend event focusing on the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux and its impact on the "Half-Breed Tract", a reservation of children of mixed Indian and European ancestry. The 1851 signing of the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux and the resulting settlement and tourism were analyzed through the perspectives of the native Dakota, the Euro-American tourist and the newly arrived settlers from 1851 to 1861.
779 audiotapes of Senate committee hearings were converted digital format, and a web page was created to access the online versions via the Legislative Web Site. As a result, complete digital access of committee hearings and floor debates are available for both bodies back to 2004. Important legislative debate is available to Internet users, regardless of the time of day or their locations.
The Minnesota Historical Society partnered with the 70 Years Project to begin development of a web site that will enable all Minnesotans to again share in the tragedies and triumphs of the 1,345 days of World War II. The site will feature oral histories from World War II veterans as well as a wartime headline taken from Minnesota newspapers for every day of the war. The web site will serve as a resource for the general public, as well as for the relatives of the more than 300,000 Minnesotans who fought in the war.
With the grant the Northfield Public Library was able to research, write and published a centennial history of the Northfield Carnegie Library entitled "Everlasting Influences: The Centennial History of the Northfield Carnegie Public Library 1910-2010."
The Will Steger foundation initiated the documentation of Will Steger's collection of journals, media and images found in a wide variety of formats and locations. A professional archivist was contracted to conduct a basic artifact inventory. The objects were then prioritized for cataloguing and digitization. The collection has been consolidated and the inventory record established. This is phase 1 of 3 for the project; "A Minnesota Hero: Preserving the Will Steger Story".
With the grant the Redwood Falls Public Library purchased 122 rolls of microfilm for newspapers published in Redwood County for Belview, Delhi, Lamberton, Lucan and Milroy.
Quote from their final report:
“The very day we added the new microfilm to the genealogy room it was used by an excited patron researching Milroy baseball. It was a treat to see her delight and to also know that we were meeting her needs as well as the needs of many more to come thanks to the Legacy Grant and its additions to our collection.”
The Minnesota Historical and Cultural Grant allowed the Library at Minnesota State University, Mankato to acquire 17 new manuscript collections and fill in gaps for 3 additional collections.
The primary mission of the Library at Minnesota State University, Mankato is to support the curriculum of the University, with the secondary mission being to serve as a regional information center for the residents of southern Minnesota. The Legacy grant made possible the acquisition of Minnesota focused microfilm that will have an enduring value to both the campus and the region.
With the grant the Kanabec County Historical Society purchased sixteen rolls of microfilm to make current their collection of Kanabec County Times newspaper through 2007 and fill in the missing years of the Grasston Advance for 1920 and 1922.
Blue Earth County Historical Society added of 126 microfilm reels of the local newspapers: The Free Press, Lake Crystal Tribune, Lake Region Times, Maple River Messenger and The Land magazine. These additions complete the collection with what is currently available through the Minnesota Historical Society's microfilm lab.
The New Ulm Public Library expanded its microfilm collection to add 258 rolls of microfilmed local newspapers covering most of the 19th and 20th centuries, all of which were absent in their previous collection. This greatly increases free and full access to both researchers and the general public to these primary records.
133 microfilmed copies of seven newspapers from the general area were purchased by the Freeborn county Historical society for its research library. The newspapers span the years from 1870 to 2008 and provide a resource for researching family histories, businesses, government agencies, news media and general public infomation.
114 rolls of microfilmed newspapers were acquired from the Minnesota Historical Society of seven (7) local St. Cloud newspapers including the St. Cloud State Chronicle. The materials were checked in, cataloged and made available to St. Cloud State library patrons.
The final thirtyeight (38) rolls of microfilm of Aitkin county newspapers were purchased to complete the collection. The acquisition was noted on the Aitkin Independent Age and on the Aitkin County Historical Society web site.
An Americans With Disabilities Act compliant access ramp was added to the front of the two-room Gosen School/Museum to provide access for all who want to enter. The building, built in 1888, was in operation until 1951. Sometime in the early 1990's it was moved to its present location in the city park. It serves as the museum and education center for the artifacts of the early settlers of Winger and the surrounding area. During the project the original entry door was salvaged, repaired and reinstalled instead of the proposed replica replacement.
In order to implement its Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund (ACHF) projects, the Minnesota Historical Society hired an ACHF Program Coordinator to oversee the program administration. The Society also made investments to support administration of the grants program and to fund expanded financial management and administrative functions. By carefully managing its costs, the Society has adhered to the legislative mandate that institutions not spend more than 2.5 percent on administrative expenses.